Startup Journey #1

Startup journey can be a spiritual journey. That is what I said to myself when I got accepted to Founders Institute Kuala Lumpur (FIKL).

I said too that I want to stay true to myself (define 'true' there too). Truth is always simple, I try to remind myself. So this is the first episode of me, Shafira, officially into startup world.

nurshafiranoh-startup-journey1


Startup Journey 1: The days before

1. Being me (typical perceiver), I tend to delay judgment. I like to keep my options wide open - yes, that is so comfortable. But that doesn't mean I do not do anything (normally, it is the opposite; I will do almost everything to make sure the options stay wide open). So even before Founders Institute, I started to print out all the deliverables and plan. Why?

2. Because of my schedule. I will still do home tuitions, that's where my pleasure lies. Hence, I have to manage my time between FIKL class, my home tutoring, doing the assignments, interview people, and not forgetting, to have time for myself and people close to me.

3. Maintaining social relationship is actually hard for me. Even though I am mostly a perceiver (refering to Myers Brigg), but to make sure life is manageable, I always have a mental 'sticky note', like a goal perhaps in mind. When I have to deal with people at work (e.g. parents of my students, or the people in the company I am freelancing with), I have certain goals I know I should keep. So it helps me to navigate when unexpected things happen ... and even when it's not happening (when I am myself in social setting, I can be a bit lunatic, so that's why, I like to have that sticky note).

4. Hence, I am afraid if startup journey that a lot of people said will be fast-paced will make me more further from my family. I decided to use Sunday for this.

5. I actually don't believe in speed dating style of networking. For me, networking is a way to know someone as her/ himself. we have tried them on World Startup Festival (WSF) in Petaling Jaya last year - I don't remember anything from that session. What I remember is the people I personally met and talked to (like Iza from BakedKL, kak Jules and kak Syah, Vincent the hardware B2B guy, Mamadou of Appsaya). So, for FIKL, I will try to do the same: foster relationship. Maybe that's what introverts are good at too (slow and steady interaction but deeper).

Okay, let's read back these assignments.

Stay true.
Shafira.

Comments

Popular Posts